Friday, November 16, 2012

11/15/12 MicroAquarium Observation 5


MicroAquarium Observation 5 - November 15, 2012
 
On Thursday, November 15th, I made my final observation regarding the MicroAquarium. Right off of the bat I noticed an increase from one amoeba last observation to an asotounding five this week. The best amoeba was spotted in the top layer of the MicroAquarium with multiple organisms it had disgested visible inside of it. These creatures are slow-moving and very large in comparison to many organisms. Previously mentioned in Week 2 of observations, I came upon a few actinosphaeriums again and noticed they had increased in size (Patterson 1998). Actinosphaerium are too slow to be noticed in small amounts of time. Also on this top layer I noticed many fragments of dead organisms, surprisingly, this layer seemed to have the largest amount of fragments in comparison. 
 
Moving into the middle layer I came upon various algae. Once again, primarily oscillatoria were encountered (Prescott 1978). Amoeba were also present in this area. The middle layer is the least inhabited area of the MicroAquarium.
 
The liveliest layer within my MicroAquarium was certainly the bottom layer. Among previously encountered organsims once again seen were more amoeba and stentors. This week I came across an organism I had never encountered before. This organism had rotating cilia similar to stentors and was identified as a Euplote. (Figure 201, Pg 124, Patterson 1998). 

Bibliography
  • Patterson D. 1998. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa.  1st Edition. Loudon, NW, London Madison Publishing. 223 pp.
  •  Prescott, G.W. 1978. How to Know Freshwater Algae. 2nd Edition. Dubuque, IA. W.C. Brown Publishing. 293 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment